Donating for sanctuary; No NAPL Today! (2/24); many events – Solidarity!
Our “frequent announcements” includes that, one of our two recently declared Sanctuary Churches, Pilgrim St-Luke’s needs to put in showers for people staying there! Please send your contribution (payable) to:
Pilgrim St-Luke UCC
Buffalo, NY 14222
with Sanctuary Care in the memo. Or go to their website here to donate on line. Also any plumbers who would be willing to work pro bono or at a discount should contact Rev. Justo Gonzalez (716-989-9207; or firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please join us today (2/24) at:
* Feb 24, 10:30am-12:30pm, Congress in Your Corner: Congressman Brian Higgins. North Buffalo Community Center, 203 Sanders Rd, Buffalo. Cong Higgins is expected at about 11:30am.
We are excited about our fun(d)raiser hope to see you at
* MPP – Major Progress Program: A Benefit Concert for the WNY Peace Center! Sun, March 12, 4-7pm, Sportsmen’s Tavern, 326 Amherst St., Buffalo. ($10). Paul Yates, George Puleo, Greg Opalinski, Paul Swisher, David Kane, Myron Deputat, Jack Prybyeski, Jim Linsner, Frank Pusateri, and special guest the Dooleys.
Today is the last chance to testify to stop the NAPL – Northern Access Pipeline! Yes, TODAY IS THE LAST DAY!! NAPL threatens our air, water, and health, all for National Fuel export profits! All may testify as often – and on as many points – as you want! Please send in [more] written testimony! For more info, go to niagarasierraclub.com/issues/northern-access-pipeline/.
We hope to see you over the weekend too at either
(1) the Nonviolent Direct Action Training (Sat, 1:30-4:30pm Nonviolent Direct Action Training. Niagara Porter Public Library.; rsvp by Noon today to email@example.com or on our facebook event page here;
(2) the #RallyforMeech immediately following (5:30pm Sat at Delevan/Canisius);
(3) Economic Justice Taskforce meeting Sunday 1:30-3pm, WNYPC, 1272 Delaware (entrance & parking round back);
(4) the WNY Rally for Transgender Civil Rights (2-3pm at Niagara Square this Sunday);
(5) Taqueria Sunday fundraise and enjoy wonderful tacos at Pilgrim St. Luke’s, 335 Richmond, benefit for Buffalo 25 and sanctuary staus of church; or lastly at
(6) Riverside-Salem’s White Privilege Conversation (4pm Sunday at 3449 W River Rd, Grand Island; potluck follows).
And please note, too, there are 5 wonderful/important events on Monday (6 if you count our radio show)! Hope you’ll make a couple of those as well. Please pace yourself tho – it’s a long haul!
Peace/Salam/Shalom/Shanti! Nya weh/Asanti/Gracias/Tashakor/Thanks!!
ENVIRONMENTAL JUSTICE TASKFORCE
* Weds, March 1, 6pm-Thurs March 2, 6pm: Bomb trains 24-hour vigil. Call Charley Bowman, 716-908-8227, to volunteer for a 2-3 hour time slot. North Tonawanda.
* Thurs, March 2, 6-7:30pm. Environmental Justice Taskforce meeting, Come our for our regular meeting at the Crane Library (633 Elmwood) to work on stopping “bomb trains,” NAPL, and fossil fuels in general; and work toward renewables!
Northern Access Pipeline – Emergency! Written public comment may still be submitted. For details, go to:
GENDER JUSTICE TASKFORCE
* Thurs, March 2, 5-7pm. Ready for Gender Equality? Petition-signing and Networking at Resurgence. An informal gathering and networking event for CEDAW supporters and opportunity to collect signed petitions for our March 8, 2017 Day of Action at City Hall. Resurgence Brewing Company, 1250 Niagara St, Buffalo, NY 14213 * It is a family friendly venue.
IMMIGRANT & REFUGEE JUSTICE TASKFORCE
* Feb 27, 12:30-1:30pm, Current State of Immigration & Travel Restrictions. Perspectives from UB will be shared, featuring speaker Samiha Islam, President, UB Muslim Student Association, at the Global to Local Luncheon Series put on by the UB Sch of Social Work, 684 Baldy Hall, UB/SUNY-Buffalo North Campus.
LATIN AMERICAN SOLIDARITY COMMITTEE
* Mon, Feb. 27, 7-9pm. Peace Coffeehouse: Politics, health, and social justice in South America – reports from recent local projects; report-backs are from students who were on-site. Sponsored by WNY Peace Center, LASC, and Peace Action-Canisius.
RACIAL JUSTICE TASKFORCE
* Feb 27, 5-6:30pm. Racial Justice Taskforce Meeting. Sewing Souls Studio, Join us in working to create a racially just society! 356 South Elmwood Ave., Buffalo.
*March 2 @ 10am-12pm. Panel Discussion of the Criminal Justice System. How can we stop violence against our youth, racism, brutality and injustice in the Criminal Justice System? Put on by Concerned Clergy of WNY at Mt. Olive Church, 701 East Delevan (nr Grider).
Cariol Horne Whistleblowers’ Fund, created by the WNYPC to support police officers who face reprisals from their department for choosing to strictly uphold their oath to protect and serve the community, is named for Cariol Horne, former police officer, who faced reprisals when she saved the life of a citizen who was being subjected to excessive force on her duty. She was fired just prior to earning her 20-year pension. The goal of the fund is to encourage good police officers to follow their moral conscience if and when it conflicts with the infamous blue wall of silence. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_wall_of_silence). More than $1,000 has been raised. Please go to
https://www.gofundme.com/cariol-horne-whistleblower-fund to contribute.
PEACEFUL CONFLICT RESOLUTION
* Sat, Feb 25, 1:30-4:30pm Nonviolent Direct Action Training. Niagara Porter Public Library. Explore strategies; discuss principles and spirit; and practice de-escalation techniques (for ourselves and others) esp re rallies, protests, marches, as well as many other settings. Includes coordinated group efforts at keeping each other safe, and Know Your Rights training from NYCLU Regional Director John Curr. Please register at 332-3904 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or at https://www.facebook.com/events/1282125928519429/.
* Sun, Feb 26, 2-3pm, WNY Rally for Transgender Civil Rights, Niagara Square. WNY will not permit Donald Trump and administration’s attack on transgender people. See you there!! https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=wny%20rally%20for%20transgender%20civil%20rights
* Sat., March 4, People’s March for Education Justice. Noon-3pm. Students, teachers, parents and community members across New York will come together in their local cities to speak up for education justice. In Buffalo, we’ll start with a rally at Erie Co Holding Center, continuing with march to City Hall (Niagara Squ), and ending at Hutch Tech HS (256 South Elmwood Ave).
It has been ten years since a New York court ruled in favor of a lawsuit lead by parents that New York State was failing to provide its children with the sound, basic education that is their constitutional right. A decade later, well over a million students are attending schools still owed over $4.3 billion in funding — nearly two-thirds of which is owed to Black and Brown students.
Help us in demanding that Governor Cuomo fulfill his promise to stand up for all communities.
Cosponsoring with Citizens’ Action, and more.
RESIST MILITARISM! TASKFORCE
*Thurs, March 9, 1-2:30pm. Resist Militarism! Taskforce Meeting, Panera Bread, 765 Elmwood, Buffalo. Will discuss bringing the film “National Bird” (re drones) and possibly producer, Sonia Kennebeck to Buffalo, dealing with ICE (Rapid Response Team?), NFARS next steps, etc.
* 2nd and 4th Thurs of month, next one March 9: Resist Militarism! Anti-Weaponized-Drone Vigil at Niagara Falls Air Reserve Station, 3:30-4:30pm. Call Russell, 570-5200 for carpooling.
IMPEACH TRUMP NOW!!
Enough is enough! Please go to Impeach Donald Trump Now (RootsAction); or
to Impeach Trump Now! For more info, you can read the TruthOut Article on the subject. And please spread far and wide – we need to minimize the extreme damage being done!!
Join us on the PeaceAction NYS campaign at No Fear, No Hate, No Nukes.
You can sign on individually or sign up your organization. We’ll be organizing congressional visits during the week of February 20; more info as it becomes available. Meanwhile please sign on!
* Buffalo 25
Situation bad for the individuals and their families who cannot work for livelihood. Please send contributions for the Buffalo 25 and their families Payable to Trinity Episcopal Church (with #Buffalo25 on the memo line of your check); Trinity Episcopal Church 371 Delaware Ave. Buffalo, NY 14202. Also see above re donations for showers at the other sanctuary church, Pilgrim-St. Luke’s (pslucc.org).
* Sun, Feb 26, 3-7pm. Taqueria Sunday, Pilgrim-St. Luke’s UCC, Richmond and Utica St. Join us for a day of food, cheer, community and solidarity with the #Buffalo25! For $10 you can enjoy 3 tacos (beef, chicken and/or veggie) and a pop or water. Please mark your calendars and share this with your friends! We will continue to hold monthly dinners to raise funds for families’ monthly expenses. These fundraisers are a critical piece of the puzzle for dignity and respect for the Buffalo 25 as they fight for their right to live freely and as we continue on our long march for justice for all.
Buffalo Supports Standing Rock Water Protectors! URGENT
Trump’s executive order and the Army Corps of Engineers’ permit for the Dakota Access Pipeline and Keystone pipelines have created an emergency situation!!
* Weekly meeting Tuesdays, 6:30pm. Burning Books, 420 Connecticut St., Buffalo.
* March 10: Indigenous Peoples’ March on Washington. Bus or van being arranged. Local solidarity action: 3pm rally at 130 South Elmwood Federal Bldg; march 4pm, to Bank of America, 10 Fountain Plaza (Main and Huron), Buffalo.
You can donate through the Buffalo Supports Standing Rock Water Protectors Group. Warm winter clothes especially outer garments can be brought to Burning Books, 420 Connecticut St., Buffalo. Money can be donated on-line through Riverside-Salem UCC/DC (http://riversidesalem.org/ . (Specify “Standing Rock.”) and/or make check contributions for Standing Rock Water Protectors (with “Standing Rock” on the memo line of your check) Payable to: Riverside-Salem UCC/DC (write “Standing Rock” on the memo line of your check) PO Box 207, Grand Island, NY 14072
Native American Community Services of Erie and Niagara Counties (NACS) All Our Relations Project (AOR) The “All Our Relations” project is aimed at increasing the mutual respect, understanding, and collaborations between Native and Non-Native groups, organizations, persons, and others, as well as contributing to the health and wellbeing of the Native American community & friends. Free Cultural competency training in a wide variety of areas, voluntary case management, and many Native cultural programs. To register, call Pete Hill, 716 874-2797, ext 348, or email@example.com.
*Friday, February 24, 1-3:30pm: “Traditional Teachings of the Good Mind”, Michael Martin (Onondaga, Beaver Clan). John Duke Senior Center, 1201 Hyde Park Blvd., Niagara Falls, NY 14305.
Other regularly scheduled efforts in the One Struggle, One Movement:
Fridays 6pm: Stop The Violence Coalition, United Way Bldg, Delaware and Summer Sts.
Saturdays, Noon-1pm: Women In Black. Nonviolence vigil, Bidwell and Elmwood.
Sundays, 4pm Riverside-Salem UCC/DC progressive program and potluck. This week White Privilege Conversation continues. 3449 West River Road, Grand Island.
Mondays, 1-3pm, Talking Peace with the WNY Peace Center radio show on 91.3FM, WBNY; with Avery Edwards, Vicki Ross, and special guests. Go to wnby.buffalostate.edu or http://tunein.com/radio/WBNY-913-s27549/.
Tuesdays, 6:30pm Buffalo Supports Standing Rock Water Protectors! 420 Connecticut St, at Burning Books, with Indigenous Women’s Initiative, NACS, WNY Peace Center, and more.
2nd and 4th Thurs of month: Resist Militarism! Anti-Weaponized-Drone Vigil at Niagara Falls Air Reserve Station, 3:30-4:30pm. Call Russell, 570-5200 for carpooling.
1st and 3rd Thurs of month: Interfaith Peace Network meeting and breakfast-luck, 8am-9:30am; NRC Bldg, 1272 Delaware Ave. Parking round back.