Nekanesakt tonight cancelled; Join Women’s Marches #StillResisting Jan20-21
Nekanesakt meeting tonight is cancelled due to weather.
We’re so excited about Buffalo’s #StillResisting Weekend! #wepersistBUF!! on Jan 20&21!
– #StillResisting bus to WMinSF! [1/20/18] 7am-~6pm UB South Park&Ride. Get your seats now to this monumental event! (Parking problem are expected to be extreme at Seneca Falls – Join us and leave it to the bus driver!) Reservations & Pymt needed up front. Please email super re-Sister, Maureen Milligan email@example.com your (1) name; (2) email address; (3) cell phone number – and she’ll give you details on how payments ($34 per seat) can be made. (Plus pls bring $3-5 for Driver Tip!) Hope you can join us!! Or if you can’t:
– Women In Black, Noon-1pm, Bidwell & Elmwood. Nonviolence vigil (weekly since 2001).
– Women’s Solidarity March. Staring at Buffalo City Hall Steps 2:30pm; Get information and inspiration at stops related to current issues and campaigns – e.g. women’s rights, voting rights, the vitally important Poor People’s Campaign – tba to 4pm. #wepersistBUF. Never fear – we’ll keep moving and we’ll have our love to keep us warm, to paraphrase Billie Holiday 😉
– event listings;
– Taskforce items and campaigns; and
– regularly scheduled events – all in that order. And be sure to go to wnypeace.org/calendar for more event listings – there’s plenty more and additions are frequent! ….. May this be our best New Year yet!! And it will be, with ->
Peace, Thanks, Solidarity, and yes Love. #loveisloveBUF <3
Buffalo Police Community Meetings in various districts on Jan 3 (Dis A), 8 (Dis B), & 10 (Districts C & A). See Calendar.
– Jan 17 – “Farmworkers Fair Labor Human Rights” hearing in Albany. See under LASC below.
#StillResisting Weekend! #wepersistBUF!! on Jan 20&21!
– #StillResisting bus to WMinSF! [1/20/18] 7am-~6pm UB South Park&Ride. Reservations & Pymt needed up front. Please email super re-Sister, Maureen Milligan firstname.lastname@example.org your (1) name; (2) email address; (3) cell phone number – and she’ll give you details on how payments ($34 per seat) can be made. (Plus pls bring $3-5 for Driver Tip!) Hope you can join us!! Or if you can’t:
– Women In Black, Noon-1pm, Bidwell & Elmwood. Nonviolence vigil (weekly since 2001).
– Women’s Solidarity March. Staring at Buffalo City Hall Steps 2:30pm; Get information and inspiration at stops related to current issues and campaigns tba to 4pm. #wepersistBUF. Never fear – we’ll keep moving and we’ll have our love to keep us warm, to paraphrase Billie Holiday 😉
– LASC 7:00 pm – 9:00 pm Coffeehouse: Cuba. At Canisius College Science Hall Lounge, with PeaceAction Canisius Col cosponsoring. (L.A.S.C. (the Latin American Solidarity Committee) is task-force of the WNY Peace Center.)
– Interfaith Climate Justice Community meeting, St Joe’s Univ Parish, 7:00 pm – 8:30 pm. Guest Presenter: Rev. Peter Cook, Executive Director, NYS Council of Churches, re the Divest NY campaign and moving to 100% renewables.
– Unmasking NYS’s Living Chamber of Death, 11-1pm. Come see a newly-built replica solitary confinement cell, the 23-hour-a-day home of 4,000 New Yorkers, get the feeling of isolation, and learn about this abuse of human rights and how we can stop it. Opening Program will be followed by the exhibit’s being open to the public to experience. At the Rafi Greene Center (1423 Fillmore).
Truth Commission on Poverty. 6-8pm. At SEIU1199 Main St Office, 2421 Main St, Buffalo, NY 14214. Come out to hear – or testify. Hear from people directly impacted by poverty and related injustices, direct service providers, advocates, faith leaders, and policy experts reflect on these questions. More to follow!
For more events on the WNYPC calendar go to wnypeace.org!
ECONOMIC JUSTICE TASKFORCE
Please call our state senators and ask them to support The New York Health Act, the bill to guarantee health care to all New Yorkers, passed the NY State Assembly for the third consecutive year in 2017. Call now to help #PassNYHealth in the State Senate. Contact info is on our website
wnypeace.org/governmental-contact-info/). Learn more nyhcampaign.org
Truth Commission on Poverty
January 25, 2018 @ 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm. At SEIU1199 Main St Office, 2421 Main St, Buffalo, NY 14214. See above
EDUCATION & HUMAN RIGHTS TASKFORCE PEACEJAM will be starting up again, at Lafayette HS Community School on Saturdays in January! Stay tuned!
ENVIRONMENTAL JUSTICE TASKFORCE
Action Alert re Stone Dam Road Pipeline: go to wnypeace.org/environmental-justice/
GENDER JUSTICE TASKFORCE
If you believe that discrimination against all women should be eliminated please support enacting the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW) in the city of Buffalo. Follow this link for more information: https://cities4cedaw-buffalo.org/ and contact your district’s councilperson to urge them to support this ordinance too.
Darius G. Pridgen- Ellicott District- 716-851-4980
Christopher P. Scanlon- South District- 716-851-5169
David A. Rivera- Niagara District- 716-851-5125
Joel P. Feroleto- Delaware District- 716-851-5155
Richard A. Fontana- Lovejoy District- 716-851- 5151
David A. Franczyk- Fillmore District- 716-851-4138
Joseph Golombek, Jr.- North District- 716-851-5116
Ulysees O. Wingo, Sr.- Masten District- 716-851-5145
Rasheed Wyatt- University District- 716-851-5165
IMMIGRANT & REFUGEE JUSTICE TASKFORCE
Calls are still needed to your NYS Assembly Members to ask them to support NYS ASSEMBLY Bill #4050. The GreenLight NY program restores access to drivers’ licenses to all community members, to avoid abusive immigration enforcement. For more info, please see Dec 11 online presentation mentioned above or go to
https://www.facebook.com/GreenLightNY/; Green Light Petition
Vive la Casa, shelter for people awaiting documents and/or sanctuary, still desperately needs personal hygiene products and of course, CASH.
(Checks to Jericho Road/VIVE) 50 Wyoming St., Buffalo, NY 14211, 892-4354.
LATIN AMERICAN SOLIDARITY COMMITTEE (LASC)
Please join with West Cosgrove (Western New York Coordinator of Rural and Migrant Ministries of New York State) and LASC (Latin American Solidarity Committee of WNYPC) to attend “Farmworkers Fair Labor Human Rights” hearing in Albany January 17th 10AM at the Legislative Office Bldg, Albany State Capital. RMM is planning on renting a bus that day to provide round trip transportation to Albany. Those interest in attending the rally please contact Wayne Alt. 716-430-9955 or email@example.com by January 6.
If you are unable to attend we urge you to contact your state Senator on January 17. It is crucial that we contact Senators Ortt and Jacobs as they have both consistently voted against farmworker rights issues.
Witness For Peace has sent out travel opportunities to Latin American Countries. LASC will support interested people financially if they are interested in going. Delegations will be going to between January and June to: Colombia, Cuba, Honduras and Mexico. For more info, go to www.witnessforpeace.org or firstname.lastname@example.org or 202-547-6112
|Stand with Sen. Sanders: Rebuild Puerto Rico
The situation is still dire in Puerto Rico. Please go to the link below to see what you can do to Stand with Puerto Rico (and Sen Sanders).
As you know, people desperately need our help because of the devastation caused by “natural” disasters (read fossil-fuel-burning-generated Climate Catastrophe). You can contribute as follows:
Puerto Rico—Go to hispanicheritagewny.org for a full report on ways to help.
We also recommend:
Mutual Aid Community Soup Kitchens Paypal address: email@example.com run by Giovanni Roberto, friend of MaryAnne Grady Flores (UpstateDroneAction.org and Puerto Rico activist].
The Mariafund.org is another fund governed by many grassroots community groups.
Cuba—Alliance for Global Justice/Irma Relief, 418 W. 145th St.. New York, NY 10031(for tax deductible). Not tax deductible, IFCO/Irma Relief (same address) Phone: 212-926-5757
Please give generously – the situations continue to be terrible for many!!
From Our Friend the renown film-maker Bill Jungels:
Forgive me in advance. I’ve never done an email like this before and probably never will again.
If you would like to make some kind of Holiday offering that really might make a difference to poor Maya campesinos in Chiapas I recommend these people in need who live very close to my friends in Chenalhó, Chiapas.
A humanitarian crisis occurred when paramilitaries from Chenalhó killed a person from the next door township of Chalchihuitan over old land disputes between the two townships. Paramilitaries then closed the roads while 5000 people fled their homes in fear of another massacre of the innocent like the one that occurred in Acteal Chenalhó at about this time of year in 1997. Some of the paramilitaries are said to be the same who took part in that massacre. People are out in the mountains and unprotected in the cold winter nights and without food. At least nine have died. Caritas, a trusted organization in San Cristobal, is coordinating donations and aid. Our friend Christine Eber has set up a way to donate through weaving-for-justice.org This is an organization whose normal work is organizing volunteers to sell the weavings of women from Chiapas here in the US and return all of the proceeds to them. All donations will be sent by her through Western Union to Caritas. The Caritas web site bank transfer information does not function from the US and so we have had to resort to Western Union, which charges only $7 for a transfer.
Our organization, Latin America Solidarity Committee of the WNY Peace Center www.lascwny.org has already sent donations to Caritas, but now an easier way to contribute on line through Weaving for Justice exists. I can vouch for the integrity of all involved.
This article in the National Catholic reporter gives a brief overview of the situation.
Father Marcelo who is quoted in the article is a fearless, incorruptible Tsotsil Maya priest who has visited those hiding in the mountains multiple times. He appears in my recent documentary Maya Faces in a Smoking Mirror. mayafaces.com
If you would like to help, go to weaving-for-justice.org
RACIAL JUSTICE TASKFORCE
THE CARIOL HORNE WHISTLEBLOWER FUND
The Western New York Peace Center has created a fund for the purpose of supporting police officers who face reprisals from their department from choosing to strictly uphold their oath to protect and serve the community. gofundme.com/cariol-horne-whistleblower-fund. The Peace Center has named this fund after Cariol Horne who saved the life of a citizen, but was fired just prior to earning her 20-year pension. Our goal is to encourage good police officers in following their moral conscience if and when it conflicts with the infamous blue wall of silence ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_wall_of_silence).
Each Police District has a Chief and Community Police Meeting. We encourage people to go to them and communicate freely on issues of concern. D District is scheduled for Jan 3. Call for time and confirmation that meeting will be held: 716 -851-4413. Chief is Anthony Barba; Captain Paul Mullen. 699 Hertel, 14207; temporary 205 Esser Ave.
More above, on the calendar, and to follow.
RESIST MILITARISM! TASKFORCE
Nuclear annihilation ‘one tantrum away’, Nobel peace prize winner warns Australian-founded International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons urges support for UN treaty banning them:
Conference on U.S. Foreign Military Bases, Jan 12 – 14, University of Baltimore
Click Here to Register
Click Here to Endorse
Click Here to an Place Ad
Click Here for Schedule and Speakers
Please call your Senators and Congresspersons to urge them to vote in favor and cosponsor if possible Senator Markey’s Bill # 200 and House Bill, Rep Lieu # 669, to Restrict First Strike with Nuclear Weapons.
And lastly, please sign on to Credo Action’s Stop Police Militarization petition here.
REGULARLY SCHEDULED EVENTS in the One Movement, One Struggle
Riverside-Salem UCC/DC Sunday. Followed by potluck. Sundays, 4-7pm. Environmental Cottage, 3449 West River Road, Grand Island.
Buffalo Supports Standing Rock Water Protectors/Nekanesakt. Indigenous support group/allies. 1st and 3rd Tuesdays of the month, 6:30-8pm. At Burning Books, 420 CT Ave. All are welcome!! CANCELLED
Interfaith Peace Network
1st and 3rd Thursdays of the month, breakfast pot-luck 8-9:30am, NRC, 1272 Delaware Ave, Buffalo NY 14209 (entrance and parking round back).
Environmental Justice Taskforce
Protest the Shipments of VERY Dangerous Radioactive Liquid from Canada.
Fridays 2-3pm, Front Park, Buffalo. Email Charley Bowman firstname.lastname@example.org with your phone number for him to call and let you know whether (weather 😉 the vigil will take place that particular Friday. Or just show up and bring your own sign if you’re not sure others will be there!!
Fridays – 1st and 3rd of the month; 6pm: Stop The Violence Coalition,
United Way Building, Delaware and Summer Sts.
Saturdays, Noon-1pm: Women In Black. Nonviolence vigil, Bidwell and Elmwood.
More listings on website (wnypeace.org) and in previous email posts.
To subscribe, write to email@example.com with “subscribe” in subject line.
To unsubscribe, please reply with “unsubscribe” in subject line.
(Sorry for occasional delays!)
Please submit possible listings for consideration to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Many thanks, peace, solidarity, and yes – Love. We shall overcome!!