Prisoners Rights Taskforce
Continuing Vigil at the holding center including #JusticeForIndia
Every Wednesday 4-5 pm. Erie County Holding Center, 40 Delaware Ave, Buffalo.
Prisoners Rights Taskforce
2 Gatherings: Vigil 7/10, 4pm, Mt Olive; Racial Solidarity Rally, Noon Tues 7/12, Niagara Sq Please join us
2 Gatherings: Vigil 7/10, 4pm, Mt Olive; Racial Solidarity Rally, Noon Tues 7/12, Niagara Sq
Please join us
* TODAY, SUNDAY 7/10 at Mt Olive Baptist Church at 4pm for a Citywide Prayer Vigil
* TUESDAY 7/12, at Noon at Niagara Square for a Racial Solidarity Rally
See below for more.
We need to stand together and work together justice, nonviolence, and peace in our Beloved Community.
Darkness cannot drive out darkness – only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate. Only Love can do that. –Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr
After we have had two black men killed by police within 24 hours, gathering together as a community for healing and solidarity is vital. Such violence has got to stop!
Please join us as we join with the Concerned Clergy Coalition of WNY at the Mount Olive Baptist Church, 701 East Delavan (near Grider), on Sunday, July 10, at 4pm. The city-wide prayer vigil will be outside.
Please join us too at the Community Speak Out on Ethical Peace Officers on Monday, July 18, at the Gloria J. Parks Community Center, 3242 Main, 7-8:30pm. Training and culture can be changed, who is hired and how breaches are handled must be changed too. This is the second in a series, with information and discussion to help us work together, creating the culture of peace and justice that we all need.
You also might want to
* make emergency calls re legislation for Stopping Gun Violence through Congress
Support sensible Gun Violence Reduction Legislation, and PREVENT SHAM LEGISLATION!
Please call Paul Ryan at 202-225-3031 and your reps at 202-224-3121 (Congressional Switchboard) and tell them you want them to support:
1. Rep Jackie Speier [D-CA-14] Fix Gun Checks Act of 2015: H.R. 3411
2. Rep Tim Murphy [R-PA-18] Helping Families in Mental Health Crisis Act of 2015: H.R. 2646
3. Rep David Cicilline [D-RI-1] Assault Weapons Ban of 2015: H.R. 4269
4. Rep Peter King [R-NY-2] Denying Firearms and Explosives to Dangerous Terrorists Act of 2015: H.R. 1076
New Yorkers Against Gun Violence – http://nyagv.org/
* check out article countering President Obama’s misrepresentation of the drone program and the war crimes being committed.
* support activist Nate Buckley at a court date coming up on Tuesday, July 12 at 10am in the Federal Court House 2, Niagara Square. If you can come, bring your state issued photo ID and be prepared to pass the courthouse’s tight security. The hearing is in the chambers of Judge Michael J. Roemer. For more info, contact Nate at email@example.com
Peace and Courage, and why not love?. Vicki
Victoria Ross Executive Director
WNY Peace Center Consultant
Interfaith Peace Network
I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word in reality. That is why right, temporarily defeated, is stronger than evil triumphant.
Martin Luther King Jr
Hi, Friends and Members!
Welcome to all, especially those who signed up over Juneteenth!
Besides our usual list of events, we wanted to offer these volunteer opportunities that should be fun, rewarding, and helpful to our community and organization:
2016 Buffalo Infringement Festival
The Peace Center will be participating in the Infringement Festival, doing street theater about the Guantanamo Bay detention camp. Contact Russell Brown, at 716-570-5200; firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to participate.
Camp Peaceprints – July 18-29
* for transport to swimming sessions, Tuesday and Thursday, 12:30-2:30pm. You can swim too! (Will cover all expenses.)
* Van driver for afternoons: 2:45- 4pm, Monday through Friday. (Small stipend.)
Please call: 716-332-3904, or 716 931-3520.
WNY Peace Center Office
Looking for volunteers in the office, everything from handwriting thank-you notes to helping with web communications. Please call if interested: 716 332-3904.
Thank you to those who have recently renewed your membership and of course, many thanks for your own good work!
Camp Peaceprints for Youth 8 to 13
Camp Peaceprints – Pathways to Peace: Monday to Friday July 18-29, 10am-3pm. St. Mary’s School for the Deaf, 2253 Main St, Buffalo.
Alternative summer camp focusing on multifaith and other compassionate views. Skill building includes peaceful conflict resolution, leadership skills, arts, etc. – and swimming, 4 times! In partnership with SSJ Sr. Karen Klimczak Center for Nonviolence, WAVE and others. Volunteers and youth assistants welcome.
Environmental Justice Taskforce
Meeting: Friday, June 25, 4:30pm. Crane Library, 633 Elmwood Avenue.
No meeting on Thursday, July 7.
Talking Peace with the WNY Peace Center.
Radio show: 91.3 FM. Produced by Jack Kanack. Monday, June 26, 1-3pm.